Thursday, September 13, 2007

Greetings!




So I'm new to this whole blog thing m'self, but I'm intrigued by the idea...This summer, I led worship at a weeklong camp called "Summer of Service" in Mishawaka, IN. As the week unfolded, it became more clear to me and my brother (electric guitar extraordinare) that our week was not panning out as we had hoped...technological failures marked our every turn and frustrations got the best of me. At one point, while I was debating packing up my guitar and hopping a plane back to Minneapolis, my brother looked at me and said in his best scottish accent, "dunna worry, for we are worth many sparrows".

It occurred to me then, that I was not remembering the truth that I was proclaiming to the students who trusted me to minister to them.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matthew 6:27)

In the midst of trying to serve God, I had forgotten about God entirely. I forgot that I was worth the death and resurrection of a son, to a God I had lost in the midst of electronic malfunctions. But what my brother had reminded of, even in jest, sustained me through the rest of the week, and I was able to follow the Spirit more closely.

Thus, the title and picture of my fledgling blog, "Many Sparrows" arose. The question of worth is a valuable measure of our faith...do we believe that of all the other things God could pre-occupy Himself with, God chooses us? Do we really believe that when we have no faith in ourselves, that God believes in us?

Let us remember that our image is hidden in the mysterious image of an invisible God, and that we are worth many sparrows.

Plotting Peace,

Andy

No comments: