Sunday, October 14, 2007

Shamineau, part 1




This weekend, I was up at Camp Shamineau with our junior high kids for a retreat. It was the weirdest youth group retreat I have ever been on in my life, mostly because of the way that God worked in our group throughout the weekend. The kids did not connect with our chapel speaker, who shall remain nameless. I'm not going to get into the specifics, but I was proud of our kids not for their excellent theological saavy (though they are pretty sharp), but for their ability to process some of their feelings of discomfort and frustration openly in a small group setting. This was the medium that God picked to show up the most to our kids, at least in my opinion. Great conversation, authentic transparency, and kids "owning" their own thoughts/opinions/sin, etc. (IE, using "I" language vs. the ubiquitous, colloquial 2nd person plural that doesn't even exist in the English language). Good stuff. I may post more on it later; I'm still processing a lot of the weekend...

No comments: